6/04/2016

Power source solution in outdoor

Solar Panel and an external battery pack



Power source in outdoor
   Nowadays, there are many electrical devices even if we are in outdoor, such as smart phones, GPS devices, cameras, action cam recorders and etc.   We probably do not need extra power source if it is a day trip.  However, if people need to do overnight away from your car, then we might need to get those devices charged.  Especially many GPS watches need to get charged after a full day usage.
   In many cases, as long as you are next to your car, you might get some power from your car.  However, if it is on a trail away from your car, we might need to get other power sources.   People used to bring many spare batteries during such trip.  It worked all right in old days.   Now there are not many devices which can use standard batteries, such as AA, AAA and etc.  Many devices have own rechargeable battery and not accept standard batteries, like digital cameras.  Also some of devices are using embedded battery such as GPS watch, iPhone and etc.  To charge those devices, I usually use an external battery pack with USB outputs.  Since many devices supports “USB charging” using USB connector and cable.  In my case, this scheme works well.  Even I can charge a standard size of batteries from the external battery pack through USB cable and we can put the rechargeable battery to devices including head lamps.  In my case, it is good enough for a few days trip.

Solar panel
   I also have an option to charge the external Battery Pack from a solar panel.  My battery pack I am currently using is 16,000 mAH capacity and it will take a full day with good sun shine.  However, it won’t be empty with current my electrical devices I am using outdoor just one day.  So if I charge during hiking a whole day, it is usually getting full by sunset.  The devices I need to charge during night are, a smart phone, a GPS watch, a digital camera and an action cam recorder.  

Input / output voltage
   When I bought the battery pack, some devices need to use 9V or 12V.  That is why I pick the current model.  It can support 5V, 9V and 12V outputs and it also accept 12~18V input when we charge it.  However, I have not had many chances to use 9V and 12V outputs.  Especially nowadays, many devices just need USB charging and USB output would be all right.   My son told me Anker does not have any product which support other than 5V USB output any more.   So, I would think it is probably all right just having USB outputs for many cases.   Only thing you might need to pay attention is when people buy either solar charger or a battery pack, it is better to double check if the output/input voltages are matched. 

No comments:

Post a Comment