6/23/2016

Mt. Whitney Hiking 2016 (3) ~ Footwear selection

Mountaineering boots
(Scarpa mont blanc GTX)

Snow on the trail

   As I posted a few days ago, there is still much snow on Mt. Whitney Trail this year.   Two weeks ago, it was snowing.  Based on update from last weekend, it was melting quickly.  But there might be some snow some sections above Trail Camp.   People who went there last weekend posted some photos on a web site.   I think I need to prepare for snow.

My plan

   I will bring crampons and an ice axe anyway.  However, I still thinking which boots I will use.   I do not have much choices.   One is mountaineering boots which also has insulation material.  The other is a lite hiking boots for summer time.  This time I do not consider to wear shoes.

   It seems that sections where is covered by snow could be limited locations.   Therefore, my mountaineering boots could be too much.   Probably I might not need to wear crampons if I wear them.  The problem is that there probably is not snow in the lower part before Trail Camp.  I might get sweating.   So if I take this option, I might "carry" boots to Trail Camp and only wear them above Trail Camp. It might be better fitting with crampons.  Even if I do not wear crampons, it might be all right since it is easy to do "kick stepping".   It is also more stable on the rock and on a steep snow slope with crampons.

   The other option is to wear crampons with a light hiking boots.  Since sections with snow would be limited.  I still could wear crampons and it would be good on snow.  However if I need to walk on rocks and steep slope, it might not be stable.   It is not easy to do "kick stepping" since the boots shell is soft.  Also, it might not be easy to work if there is no snow with crampons.

Light Hiking Boots
(REI bland)

   The good thing for the light hiking boots is light weight and more flexible structure for easy to walk.   Also, there is no insulator and it would be much more comfortable overall.  Personally, I think this would be a good option with given information.  The problem for me is crampons I have do not work well with this boots.   Since all crampons I have are designed for mountaineering boots.  I might need to find out another crampons with bands to attached such light hiking boots.

   I will make this decision after checking a outdoor store if they have crampons which can fit the light hiking boots. 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment