6/28/2016

Current condition of Mt.Whitney Trail ~ June 25 & 26, 2016

The east side from the switchback



   I went hiking to Mt. Whitney last weekend, June 25 and June 26.  Here is the initial report for the current condition.
   Based on the snowing a few weeks ago, I had a concern about the snow conditions on the trail.  Due to the hot weather after the snowing, most of the trail was snow free and only a few portions covered by small patch of snow.
Here is some notes:

  • ·         The cable section of the switch back, there was some snow, but we could pass inside cable without any problem.  There is one section water was dripping due to melting snow, but it is just a few meters.
 

·          The cable section of the switch back
  • Right before Trail crest, there was a small section covered by snow.  People need to be careful if people pass this section early in the morning.  It could be icy, just a several steps.  I did not use crampons and an ice axe.  Just using a trekking pole to pass the section.  Probably snow will be melt soon.  On the way back, due to the temperature was up and the snow is getting slushy and no problem at all.

Near Trail Crest
  • ·         The last section to traverse a slope to get into the last slope toward the summit, there was a section covered by snow.  However, there were nice steps and just followed the step without any problem.  Trekking pole(s) might help to balance.
 Traverse right below the summit
  • The other section, even there was some snow, it is not a problem to pass the sections.  Only thing is that there was thin layer of ice on rocks very early in the morning.  So people just need to be careful to avoid slipping with the ice.
  • I did not see anybody climbed on the chute.  I think everybody went through the switchback.
  • Some people mentioned, due to a lot of water, it might be wet when they across the water streams.  I think it is better to wear a better water proof boots.  I was wearing a light hiking boots with GoreTex and I did not have any problem to jump stones.  Some time I needed to put my foot to a stone in the water, but I did not get wet.
   I carried crampons and an ice axe, but I did not use them at all.  I guess most of people probably do not need them this summer season unless the condition is changing significantly such as another snowing.  But this is all depending on person’s skill and what type of boots people wearing.
   I just update the current condition for people who plan to go there July 4th weekend.  I will post my detail report here later.

No comments:

Post a Comment