6/30/2016

Mt. Whitney Hiking 2016 Report (2) ~ Crampons & boots

Crampons which could fit most of boots

Crampons and boots

   I was wondering which boots I would need to wear for this hiking until really last minutes.  Because it was a little early season and it was different situation from the past hiking I did in August, September and October.  Especially, it was snowing about 2 weeks before my entrance date.
   Based on some internet information, I might need to climb the "Chute" instead of going through the switch back on the summer trail.  Also, I knew there was not much snow below Trail Camp.  Here is what I was thinking:
  1. To climb the chute, it might be better to use mountaineering boots which is much rigid and a better combination with crampons.
  2. Below Trail Camp, there was almost no snow and it might be too much to use mountaineering boots, especially my mountaineering boots have insulator and it will get hots.
  3. If I need to use mountaineering boots, it might be better to use hiking shoes to Trail Camp and using the mountaineering boots for the summit attempt.
  4. I just need to use a light hiking boots with crampons if we really need in a short section.
   A day before, I thought option #3 would be too much and I need to carry extra weight.  The latest information I got the internet, the condition would not be very bad.  I might need crampons in the worst case only.  Therefore,  I decided to take option #4 for this hiking.
   As a result, I did not use crampons and an ice axe at all this time.  So I did make a right decision.

Other people on the trail in the same weekend

   I also watched other people what they used.   Here is my observation:
  1. About half of people might carry crampons.  I saw about half of people had crampons somewhere outside of their backpack.   Some people probably just bought them for the hiking, they looked brand new.
  2. Probably 1/3 people had an ice axe, but much less than people who had crampons.
  3. Majority of people was wearing a light hiking boots
  4. Very few people carried mountaineering boots toward Trail camp.  They might know that the boots would be too much to approach Trail Camp.  They only used them for summit attempt.
I did not see people who used either crampons and an ice axe.  It could be some people who might use them, but I did not see such people.  In general, people did not really need them in the given condition.

Crampons
   I guess many hikers have never used crampons.  Crampons are gear for winter climbing.  Therefore, many people probably do not know the combination of boots and crampons make a big difference.   Basically, it is better to use a rigid boots when people use crampons.  However, if people just work on a slope which is not really steep, then they might not tell any difference.  However, once the slope is getting steep or people need to walk on rocks, then it will be a big difference.  Since crampons could not be very stable when people wear non rigid boots.
   Thus, if people do not have to use on a steep slope and/or on rocks, it is probably no problem just carry crampons just in case.  Even people wear shoes with crampons, it might work all right.  However, if we need to wear crampons even if there is not much snow, but there might be some ice on rocks.  Then it is not very good to use crampons on shoes or soft hiking boots.  It might not be very stable and it might be possible to be crampons off.

Hard to pick a right gear in early summer season
    Mt. Whitney is not really a mountain which has a lot of snow in early summer season.   In early summer like mid-late June, there might not be a lot of snow on the trail.  But some sections might be covered by icy snow especially early in the morning.  Therefore, people might need to use crampons.  But selection of boots is another problem.  Since the lower elevation portion could be very hot and mountaineering boots which is typically rigid would be too much.  Then people might need to carry such rigid boots and wearing light hiking boots in the beginning.

   I guess many time people take an option with light hiking boots with crampons just in case.  It might work many times I guess.  Also people might want to ware "spick" which is a simplify version of gear.  (Personally, I do not like it because it might not work if it is really icy)

   Just I want to remind people that it is better to wear crampons if people wear soft hiking boots.  Because it is not easy to do "kick step" with such soft boots.  It is better to wear crampons to walk on the snow.

Bottom line....
   I think it is important to try boots and crampons combination somewhere before going actual hiking to see what the combination looks like.  It might help to walk a bit steep slope with the combination.  It does not have to have snow, but it is better to walk on a rock instead of soft surface.  If people have different type of boots, try to compare how they are different.







No comments:

Post a Comment