5/08/2018

Software Defined Radio (SDR) ~ SDRplay RSP1A

SDRplay RSP1A

Software Defined Radio (SDR)

A several weeks ago, I mentioned this in a posting.  Finally, I bought RSP1A.

After I resumed Amateur Radio, one of things I am really interested in is "Software Defined Radio".  This is really a new thing that did not exist when I was really actively doing Amateur Radio more than twenty years ago.   That days, a general coverage receiver was so expensive and I did not have one when I was student.  However this product is a little above USD $100 ($119.95 is my purchase price) and it will cover 1kHz to 2GHz with all mode (AM/FM/CW/SSB ...).  This is really reasonable price to play!

The basic idea is using A/D converter to sample RF signal to digital and all rest of signal processing is done by a computer (PC) through USB interface.  Then the PC will be a nice receiver.   Actually, many Amateur Radio from major vendors are using this technology nowadays.

Good to know what the other amateur bands look like 

Although I resumed amateur radio, I only have a cheap Chinese radio "BAOFENG" which only can cover FM on 2 m / 70 cm bands.   I do not hear many stations in my local area.  I just wonder if there are many stations in the other bands.   When I was active in Japan about 30 years ago, there are so many stations in any bands.  I really want to know which band would be better band to find out many stations here.   However to buy HF radio and set up a large antenna require a lot of money.  So that I want listen some bands before I actually setup them.  That is one of motivation.

The other interesting area is to see spectrum and water fall display with this.   Some of nice HF radio has this feature.  However all radio I tried in the past did not have such feature.  I am really interested in what it looks and how it works.  The software for this product has this feature.

I just got it.  So I will post something related this product!  I think it will be fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment