5/19/2018

Physical Health Checking ~ Colonoscopy

I am basically healthy and I usually did not see doctors except cases I got injury last a several years.  However I am over fifty years old now and I guess it might be a time to have physical health checking now.   Thus, last March, I saw my primary physician.

Colonoscopy

Colonoscopy is one of them.   Some people told me they also did colonoscopy and found some "tubular adenoma" which might turn into cancer.   Since insurance can cover this screening, I also took this screening last week.

Originally, the primary physician referred this the end of March.  However a date I can make an appointment earliest was May 8.   It seemed to be very popular and needed to wait some time.   Before screening, people needs to clear inside colon, they need to follow the instruction including restricted diet, such as no seeds, no vegetable skins, no red color foods / beverages.  A day before, people cannot eat any solid food at all and start drinking medication to clear colon.

Actually the most hard part is probably to drink the medication and water a day before and 5 hours before the procedure.   Then stool becomes thin yellow liquid after the second one.

The procedure itself is probably very easy and no pain at all.   It is not anesthesia, but using a  medication make people sleepy.  In my case, I fell into sleep completely and I did not remember at all.  Actually a doctor explained the summary after the procedure, but I did not remember at all.   I think that is the reason the hospital asks a driver take me home other than driving by myself.   In the United States, it is typical not stay hospital overnight for this procedure.  Therefore people need to go home after that.

The result was the doctor remove 6 polyps and 5 of them are "tubular adenoma" which may trun into cancer.   I am glad to have this screening!!   The doctor suggested to have another screening about 3 years from now.   According to the doctor, they are nothing wrong now, however, to minimize the risk of colon cancer, it is better to take them out.

That is my experience to share in this blog!  I guess it might be good to check this if you are older than 50 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment