6/16/2016

Mt. Whitney 2016

I will go there this year again!



   My permit reservation date is June 25 and June 26 this year.   My Mt. Whitney lottery application was not successful this year.  After April 1, I had been checking the reservation site if I could find any open slot.  Finally, at the end of April, I found the current reservation slot and made the reservation.  I start writing a report for Mt. Whitney hiking this year.

   First of all, I just did confirmation of my reservation.  With this confirmation, my permit won’t be canceled.  Otherwise, I need to pick up my permit by 10am of the entry date.  This is for an overnight permit.  For day use, the deadline would be a day before the entry date without the confirmation.  It is better to do even a group plans to pick up the permit before the deadline.   Since it may take some time at the visitor center to pick up the permit in person.  The reservation is using a computer system, there could be possible to cancel the reservation at the deadline even if the group is actually in the visitor center and waiting for their turn.  I guess it might be all right if the leader explain the situation.  But to avoid such unexpected thing, it is better to confirm the reservation in advance.
Second, I need to prepare for this hiking.  Especially there is a construction around Whitney Portal and the parking space is limited this year.   The Inyo National Forest website indicates, it is better to use a shuttle service.   I have not checked with the service company yet.  I might need to double-check where I can park (leave) my car during the hiking.  I plan to get this done soon.  Then I can share the information on this blog.  Also, it is my first time to hike there in early season.   The past hiking was after mid-August and the trail was basically snow-free condition.  However, it might be some snow on the trail and I probably need to bring crampons and an ice axe.   I am searching on the internet what the condition looks like.  It seems that snow is melting and I may be able to follow through 99-switchback almost snow-free condition.   But it seems that it is better to carry crampons and an ice axe just in case.  Then, which boots and crampons I need to carry there.  I have not decided this detail at this moment.   My mountaineering boots might be too much in this time of a year.   But I do not have other boots which can fit crampons.   The last thing for the preparation, I am thinking to get a smaller bear canister this time.  One I have is probably too big for a solo hiking.

   Overall plan, I probably get there a day before since I might need to pick up the permit a day before and have a good arrangement for the shuttle service.  So I might go there earlier.   In the past hiking, I always be there on a day of entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment