6/11/2016

Sleeping pad ~ for comfortable sleeping in outdoor

My "Therm-A-Rest" is almost 30 years old!



   When I hiked to Mt. Whitney, I saw many people put a folding pad or rolled pad outside of their backpack.  It seemed that they use the pad when they sleep in their tent.  I think they are really popular in general.   I have been using “Therm-A-Rest” for almost thirty years including winter climbing.  It is really good and I really recommend everybody to try it. 
   I also used a similar type of sleeping pads when I started hiking / climbing.  They were okay, but it was not really comfortable especially in winter.  Also, it is get damaged and the life time was not very good.  Only good thing was that it is lower cost.  Just thinking about the cost of such low cost pad, it might be hard to buy Therm-A-Rest which would be much more expensive, it might be ten times expensive.   However, it is getting really compact and light weight.  Also, I have had any problem for almost thirty years.  So I would really think it is worth to invest some extra money for a comfortable sleeping in outdoor.


 Short length which can cover half of my body
   If you go to an outdoor gear store, you might find different length.  In my personal opinion, shorter length which cover half of your body would be all right.  You might be able to combine your backpack under your feet / legs when you sleeping, then you will have full coverage.   The full length pad might be a bit bulky in my opinion.   The price is something around USD $100, depending on what you pick.   Therm-A-Rest is a bland and there are some similar products from different vendor as well.  You might want to check what the packing size looks like as well as putting air in to see what the pad really looks like.  It might be improved comparing with what I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment