7/11/2016

Mt. Dana ~ The second highest mountain in Yosemite National Park

Video for this Hiking!!




   I went hiking to Mt. Dana in Yosemite National Park this weekend.   Originally, I would go there last weekend, however I thought it might be very crowded last weekend due to July 4th weekend.  So I went Lassen Peak instead.

Mt. Dana
   Mt. Dana is the second highest mountain in Yosemite National Park.   It is 13,061 feet (3,981m) elevation.  In major map I checked, there is no trail to the mountain.   However, if I search some information on the internet, many people hiked there and they indicate there is a trail from Tioga pass entrance.   However, the trail is not very clear especially right below the summit.   Anyway, it seemed that the view from the summit was really beautiful on many photos posted on the internet.

Approach
   Tioga pass was on the way to Lone Pine to hike Mt. Whitney two weeks ago.   So I took the same way to there, taking I-580 ~ I-5, ~ CA-120/108.  It took about 4-hour drive from my home.   I left my home about 4am in the morning and arrive there around 7:30am.  There is no other cars in the parking lot next to Tioga pass entrance.  I know Yosemite NP is really popular place in summer and all parking lot could be full late in the morning.   So, I tried to arrive there early.

Trail
 GPS tracking data for this hiking on a map

   A parking lot right next the entrance, there is a sign which says “authorize vehicle only”, and therefore I parked my car on the north side.  There is a restroom next to the parking lot.  From the parking lot, just crossing CA-120 and pass the entrance station, there is a clear trail toward south.  There are a several lakes near trail and they are really beautiful lakes.  I saw nice cloud and blue sky on the surface of lakes.   Around Tioga pass, there is wetlands with lakes and many wild flowers and the trail is going through the wetlands in the beginning. 
 A lake next to this trail

    After a several minutes walking, the trail is getting steeper and starting switch back to get elevation gain.   From the trial, I saw many beautiful mountains on west to north side with snow.  Above the tree line, the slope is getting steeper and it is not usual for many trails in the United States.   Like Mt. Whitney Trail, it is designed not to have steep section.  This trail is obviously steeper than Mt. Whitney Trail.


Mountains on the west side from the trail


   About 1 hour walking, I got into a plateau and the slop was getting a bit gentle, however, the wind was getting cold.  I wear a jacket and globes.   On the last slope, it was getting steep again and the trail is not very clear.  It seemed there were probably at least 2 trails toward the top.  I was not sure which trail would be a better one.  However, it could go up anywhere.   So I thought it was not a big deal.  I took the left trail, but it was not very clear all the way.   So I just toward the top and just walked up.  It was not too bad.   

Wild flower


   The summit was really windy and cold.  I just took some photos and video.   On the east side, I saw entire Mono Lake.  Then, I saw many mountains from south ~ west ~ north.  Many mountains still had snow and they are so beautiful.   Since it was cold, I started going down without resting on the summit.   Descending is easy and I just took 1 and half hour.

 View from the summit
Mono Lake from the summit

Notes

   I think it is better to start early.   The parking was getting crowded when I came back to the parking lot.  There was no parking space any more.  However, there were a few spaces in another parking lot.   Early in the morning, there were some clouds, but they were going away around noon time.  However, after that, I do see cumulonimbus on the sky when I drove back.   So there might be a chance of lightning.   I guess it would be better to start early and be back early in the afternoon.
   There were a few location where we need to across small snow.  However, they were not a big deal.  It was really easy to across the snow.
   The trail is not very clear right below the summit.  However, we can climb anywhere.  So people just need to toward the top.   Only thing is just to be careful the east side is really steep.   Probably, trail on the right side (west side) would be a little clear in my opinion.
   The altitude sickness, I did not have any symptom at all.   The big problem was that I forgot to wear heart rate monitor this time and I did not have a very good data.   But I did manage my pace very well based on the past 2 weeks for the other hiking.  I can manage my pace without heart rate value.   The pace was slowing down a little, but I believe this was due to steeper slope.   I guess my heart rate was less than 155bpm this hiking 

 Elevation and walking speed


Time
Distance (km)
Tioga Pass
0:00
--
0
--
Plateau
1:20
1:20
3.0
3.0
Summit
2:20
1:00
4.5
1.5
Tioga Pass
4:05
1.45
9.5
5.0

This is a short trail, but I really recommend this trail.   I guess people may try a season with some snow like this time, something around late June to July.

 Video for this Hiking!

No comments:

Post a Comment