7/04/2016

Mt. Whitney Hiking 2016 Report (4) ~ Data Analysis for Summit attempt





 Nice weather on the summit day

Summary
    Here is the second day data analysis for the summit attempt.  I had some symptom of high altitude sickness when I left Trail Camp, especially I had a headache.  So my condition was not very good comparing with the previous year.  However, the total time I took does not have much difference comparing with the first day to approach Trail Camp.  However the overall average heart rate was a bit higher than the previous year in general.   For descending, I think I did slow down more since my leg could not support my weight when I walk faster.   This is probably some weakness of my muscle.  I did not do much training for descending this time.   Therefore, the heart rate was getting lower those descending sections.


Time
(HH:MM)
Average Heart
Rate (BPM)
2015
2016
2015
2016
Trail Camp




Trail Crest
1:40
1:49
125
139
John Muir Junction
0:07
0:07
104
117
Summit
1:28
1:29
141
133
Summit
0:27
0:13
112
120
John Muir Junction
1:08
1:11
116
120
Trail Crest
0:07
0:13
147
134
Trail Camp
1:16
1:21
132
128

Analysis
   Since I did not have to carry all stuff for the summit attempting, therefore the backpack weight was much lighter than the first day.  The impact to the walking pace was much smaller than the first day.  The difference between the first day and the summit attempt was weight of the backpack.  So that reducing the weight will help to improve the walking pace especially the fitness level is not very good.

 Walking Speed 2016



 Heart Rate 2016

   Also, the muscle strength for descending is also important.   I did almost the same training menu for 2 mounts before the entrance.  The menu did not include a training for descending.  However, my condition was different.  Last year, I ran long distance for a marathon race and I think I still have a better strength for descending.   However, due to the injury I did not run outside after the marathon race last year.   Therefore, my muscle strength was getting weaker.   It seems running outside helps to get strength for descending.   So it is better to run outside instead of running on treadmill to get a better muscle strength for descending.

 Walking speed 2015
Heart Rate 2015

Pacing
   For summit attempting, I set the maximum heart rate lower than 140bpm as possible.   Overall I well managed the heart rate this time as well.   Within this range of the heart rate, I did not have to have rest.  I would be able to continue to walk.   It helps hiking in a dark and lower temperature environment.   Because once I stop then I might need to wear extra layers to keep warm during the rest.  This time the temperature was not that low, but it still help.   I did not take any reset except on the summit.   Personally, it would be a good strategy for the summit attempting for Mt. Whitney from Trail Camp in early in the morning.  Also, I am pretty sure to hike up the switch back in early in the morning is the best option in summer time.  After sunrise, it is always getting hotter in summer time and it might not be very good for ascending the switch back.  This time I left Trail Camp at 4am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment