7/22/2016

Mt. Dana hiking ~ Data analysis



Mono Lake from Mt. Dana
   Although I did not wear heart rate monitor during the hiking, I tried to look into the tracking data in detail.
   Based on the comparison I did for the three hiking data, I concluded there might not have clear impact of the elevation.  Let’s see how the detail data tells.

 Average moving speed every 50m elevation change

 Average slope every 50m elevation change

   I normalized the data by using averaging value with a section of 50m elevation change.  I did not see any clear speed drop during the hiking.  The slope number is a ratio for the distance and the elevation difference which indicates the amount of steepness.  A positive number shows ascending and a negative number shows descending.
   Here is the notes, in the middle of the ascending, there is a bit flat portion (plateau), and therefore the moving speed is increasing.  After the section the moving pace is slowing down due to the steep slope.   The last section of ascending is getting steeper.  However, there might be some error data because the slope profile is not really symmetric.   But there is relatively steeper section near the summit on the ascending and descending and it is enough to say the section near the summit is steeper.  The speed drop near the summit was due to a short rest when I took some video and photos on the summit.  I did not exclude the resting time on the summit.
I did not have the heart rate data for this hiking, but from the moving speed data with slope data, I do not see a clear speed drop in this hiking.   I also see slowing down in steep sections on descending as well.  Since I could not walk faster on the steep sections.

 Average moving speed every minutes
   This is different way to normalize the tracking data.  This one is calculated average moving speed every minutes (or 60 seconds).  It is very clear for the resting at the summit.

   I did not really tell this is because of acclimation with Mt. Whitney hiking or not.   As I mentioned in the comparison article, this ascending is a similar as ascending from Trail Camp to Trail Crest on Mt. Whitney Trail.    However, duration above 3,500m elevation is only one hour on ascending which is much shorter than the section on the Mt. Whitney Trail.   Also, the two hiking are two weeks apart.   Based on this, it might be hard to believe the acclimation was still valid.  Therefore, I guessed that I was not really acclimated.  But I do not have clear data and probably need to collect more data to prove it.


Mt. Whitney Hiking Guide “Hiking the highest mountain in California”
·         Go to Amazon.com
(Or you may go to your local Amazon site and search “ASIN: B01IFSFBV6”)


No comments:

Post a Comment