7/02/2016

Lassen Peak Hiking 2016 Summer

Video for the hiking, please take a look at this!

Long weekend!

   July 4th is the independence day and this weekend is a long weekend.   Originally, I was thinking to go hiking somewhere in Yosemite.  However, it might be very crowded due to the long weekend.  Therefore, I change my mind to go to Lassen Peak instead.
   Since this is a long weekend, even if Lassen Volcanic National Park, it might be crowded.   So that I left home earlier around 4am and I arrived at the trail head around 8 am.   There were only a several cars on the parking lots.

A lot of snow?

   Lake Helen was still under ice and snow.
Lake Helen

  Also, the park web site said  "Mostly snow covered - Recommended only for experienced winter mountaineers.".  Thus, I was preparing rigid mountaineering boots, crampons and an ice axe.   However, when I looked at Lassen Peak, I did not believe what the site described.   Therefore, I just did wear a light hiking boots and carried crampons and an ice axe just in case.


 Brokeoff Mountain

    From the trail head, there was a traverse on some snow in the beginning.  However, the snow was not really continue and I just needed to across a several sections.   Majority parts were snow free.  I did not need crampons, an ice axe and trekking pole.   Even little kids were hiking up with shoes.  So now there is some snow, but summer season begin.
    I took about 1 and half hour to the summit.   The weather is nice and I saw Mt. Shasta on the north.   It was still possible to ski / snow board.  But the season is almost the end.
Mt. Shasta from the summit

   It is a nice trail for half day, people probably take around 3 ~ 5 hours for the round trip.  The round trip distance is about 5 miles from the trail head near Lake Helen.



No comments:

Post a Comment