7/06/2016

Lassen Peak Hiking data analysis

Brokeoff Mountain



   As I post a few days ago, I went hiking to Lassen Peak.  Lassen Peak is 10,457 feet (3,187m) elevation.  I took about 1 hour 50 minutes for the round trip from the trail head.  The elevation gain from the trail head is about 624m.  I also did the data analysis for this hiking as well.  Since the highest elevation is less than 3,200m, therefore I did not get any problem with the elevation this time.   The walking pace is about 20minutes / km and I do not see walking pace is slowing down.

 Walking Speed

 Average Heart Rate

   Even if I did not get any symptom of high altitude sickness, I also managed the walking pace based on the heart rate.   I set the maximum heart rate to 155bpm for this hiking.  Since this hiking is relatively much shorter than Mt. Whitney, the heart rate during ascending is almost constant and the walking pace is also constant as well.  With this given pace, the hiking itself is fairly easy for me.   I might be able to walk faster for such short hiking.   However what I might get is probably 10 to 15 minutes faster or so.   Then I did not feel it might not get any benefit for me.  Hiking is not a race, therefore, the pace I did is just right I think.
   It is not clear if I have acclimatization or not since just a week before this hiking I went to Mt. Whitney for 2 days.  I did not have any other data to make this judgment.   However, even if I did not go there, I do believe I do not have much problem with this elevation.   Since this trail is just very short and it can be done with having a lot of problem.   Descending might take less than 2 hours as well.  Just a few hours hiking, I might be able to push myself without much problem.   However, I feel like the pacing method with the heart rate would help for easy hiking.

No comments:

Post a Comment