3/03/2018

Mobile antenna installation - NAGOYA UT-72

NAGOYA UT-72

   It's been for a month after I bought BAOFENG UV-5R.   I've been listening (watching) 2m / 70cm bands during my commute.   However, "rubber ducky" antenna is probably not really good especially using inside a car.   Therefore, I was looking for an external antenna to improve it.

   Since I do not have a nice mobile transceiver and I am just using the cheap handheld radio, I do not want to have really nice mobile installation.   I just looked for an easy way.  I also have another car which is primary used by my wife.  So I just want to have one which is easy to move one to the other.   When I search on Amazon, there are some cheap one starting from a little above USD $10.   Based on the review, it seems to be really cheap and I just pick one with a little more cost.   It is still under USD $ 30.

   Here is what I picked.   "NAGOYA UT-72"

   Based on the description on Amazon, the height is about 19-inches and getting more than 4 dB gain.  The magnet base is 3.25 inch and it is stable enough even I drive on a free way.  Installation is pretty simple, just put it on the roof and routed the coax through a gap around a door.   The end of coax is PL259 and a jumper cable to convert to SMA female (the radio side is SMA male, which is different from a common connector of major Japanese manufactures).   Therefore, it can be used when I buy a mobile radio in the future.

   It is hard to quantify the performance, but obviously it is improved.   I can hit more repeaters from my home and office.   Also, the reception is getting much better.   Just think about the price, I am happy with this antenna.   Currently, I do not have any base station antenna at home.  Probably, I also want to have an antenna at home as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment