3/11/2018

APRS ~ Test from home with rubber ducky antenna

   Today, I tested APRS with BAOFENG/iPhone from home in daytime.
   There are two digipeater near my home.  Based on information on "https://aprs.fi", one digipeater is about 5.3 miles from my home and the other is about 16.1 miles from my home.  Since I do not have any base station antenna, therefore I just use the rubber ducky antenna in a room and set the output power as a low power (1W).

   It seems the both digipeaters can pick up my APRS packet and I can see some packets from other station through those digipeaters.  At least it works around my home with low power setup.  Also, today, I did not see any unexpected transmission at all.   I guess some setup yesterday might not be right.

The current setup is:

On PocketPacket:

  • VOX trigger is 400msc
Radio:
  • VOX setup value on BAOFENG UV-5R is "10"
  • The volume is middle position
iPhone:
  • Volume setup is the maximum on iPhone
It has been running more than 2 hours and I saw some stations near home.  The next step is trying to use this on a trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment