3/05/2018

APRS -- Easy solution ~ iPhone App

   I mentioned about APRS (Automatic Packet Reporting System) a few weeks ago.   I am looking for a solution for my future hiking to trace my location during hiking.   In case something happens to me, it can be a way to help to find out where I am.  That is my motivation to use APRS.

   There are some handheld radios which has built-in APRS features, but the price of the radios are expensive.   For long term, I am considering to get such radio in the future.   However I am looking for something low-cost solution for short term.

iPhone App - "aprs.fi"
   I think one of lowest cost solution is a smart phone application.   There are some applications in AppStore.   My smart phone is an iPhone and I did not search Android apps.   "aprs.fi" is the one which is listed as the first app when I search "APRS" in AppStore.   It is USD $6.99.   It is an application on an iPhone to send the location information through cellular network, not through amateur radio.   Therefore, it won't work if a location is not covered by a cellular network.  It is different from one going through amateur radio.   Even though, it is still useful to use in local trails where majority of trails are still covered by a cellular network.

   There is a limitation that the location information is not really report to APRS-IS servers.  Therefore if people is not using the application or "https://aprs.fi" site.  The location information is not shown on the other application for APRS.   As long as people use those application, it is not a problem.   The setup is easy and this is probably an easy solution for most of local trails.  Since this is using a cellular network and utilize its data plan.  I think each data size is not really big, however if the interval to send the location information is short and long hiking, it will use some amount of data. 

Another App - "PocketPacket"
   Another iPhone application I tried is "PocketPacket" which is USD $4.99.   I think this application would be lower cost and better.   The setup is a little more than "aprs.fi".  However this application sends the location information to APRS-IS servers and any application can see the location.   So this is less limitation.   However, to send the information APRS-IS servers, it might requires "passcode".  (I am not really sure, but I think I get error without the passcode.)

   I just did an internet search and a site can generate a pass code with a call-sign.  The URL of the site is "apps.magicbug.co.uk".   I found it by a Google search with "APRS passcode".

The next post will talk about a way to send the location information through amateur radio!



No comments:

Post a Comment