3/07/2018

APRS ~ BaoFeng UV-5R + iPhone app "PocketPacket"


Pocket Packet can be used with a 2m radio
   The previous post was talking about two smart phone applications which send the information through cellular network.   During its research, I found some information on the internet that "Pocket Packet" application can be used as TNC (Terminal Node Controller) and BaoFeng can send out the information from audio output from iPhone.  With this solution, it does not depend on the cellular network.   A smart phone is only used to get the GPS or the location information and generating a packet information as the audio output.   No data is going through a cellular network.

Pocket Packet Setup, BaoFeng setup and cable connection

   First of all, disable APRS-IS connection.   As a smart phone application with a cellular network, this function is the path to APRS-IS server.  Width disabling this portion, the application won't send any data to APRS-IS server.   It is also OK to disable "Cellular Data" on iPhone.
Disabling APRS-IS connection
(Turn off "Enabled" and "Transmit")

  Second, enable "Audo Modem" setup on "PocketPacket" setup.  This is a function to create audio output which includes the location information.


Enabled Audio Modem
(Turn on "Enabled" and "Transmit", see the green switches)

  They are the key setting to use a radio to transmit via amateur radio.  Then the last thing is connection between iPhone and a radio (transceiver) .   The article I mentioned above is using a custom hand-made cable for this connection which has a connection from "audio output" to "microphone".
   Since I do not have any extra head set to get connectors on the both end.  I just using a stereo audio cable with 3.5 mm standard jacks on the both side.   I put it to the iPhone ear-phone jack and BaoFeng microphone jack.  Then enable VOX function on the BaoFeng side.
   The frequency for APRS in north America is 144.390 MHz.  In my case, I set iPhone volume as the maximum and set BaoFeng VOX to 5.  Since this is just 1-way connection and no incoming packet is routed to iPhone.  So this is just a test to see if we can send out APRS AX.25 packet through amateur radio.   (My iPhone is an old iPhone5 which has audio jack.  Newer models (after iPhone 7), it is requires to use a short cable to connect audio cable.

   With above setup, it was successful.   I can see my data on aprs.fi.

Trace when I was driving


  It is a good news, we can use iPhone as TNC with most of handheld radio with VOX function.  "PocketPacket" supposes to get incoming packet if we have connection from the radio.  I have not tried this yet.  But I will try it and post the result.

   I guess this might be a good low cost APRS solution through amateur radio!

No comments:

Post a Comment