11/21/2017

Recovery Time on Garmin Running device

   One of features in newer Garmin running device is "Recovery Time".   fenix 3 HR also has this feature and indicates estimated recovery time from one training.   It is not really clear how it estimate the time.   But I have been using fenix 3 HR for a year and I guess the number is reasonable. 

   I am not sure if it is useful for serious athletes, but I think it is useful for some older people like myself.   I had some experiences to get injured due to some over training in the past.  Therefore it is probably a good indication for such people to have enough recovery time between training.

   Currently, I usually pick a training plan from Garmin Connect and follow the menu.  Therefore, I do not have to worry about the resting time a lot.  As long as the training selection is reasonable, we probably do not have to check this value a lot.   But if people has own plan and see if they have enough recovery time, this feature is useful.

   As an example, in Full-Marathon plan, there are "easy run" which is relatively low intensity training and it usually requires around 24 hours recovery time.  But if the menu is "a long run" or "threshold run" the recovery time is getting longer such as 36 hours to 48 hours in my case depending on how hard I did the training.  After I follow the training plan, I have less problem for the injury due to over training.

   Many running devices from Garmin this feature except really low-end models in their current line up.

No comments:

Post a Comment