5/23/2017

An example of usage for Garmin fenix 3 HR ~ VO2max and Lactate Threshold

   Garmin announced some new running watches recently.  However, I just replace my running watch from Forerunner 910 XT to fenix 3 HR about 6 mounts ago.  It is good enough for me for now.   Today, I introduce one of my usage of fenix 3 HR.  There are functions to estimate my VO2max and Lactate threshold.  This function is not supported in Forerunner 910XT.

   As I posted before, I went to Taiwan last month.  The second day, I resumed running over there.  However I got injured during the training.   I tipped and tried to recover.  However, my right leg got some unexpected force and probably my muscle got injured.  Due to the injury, I stopped running since April 17 till Wednesday last week.  It's been a month.  The first week was really bad.   I had really bad pain even if just walking.   It did not happen when I was young at least 5 years ago.   I guess my body is not strong like before due to aging.



My leg right after the injury
(you can see internal bleeding)

   Because of the injury, I stopped running for a month.   I still feel something strange on my left leg, but I resumed running since last Wednesday with really slow jog around 3km.

   Then one of interesting function in fenix 3 is estimating VO2max and Lactate Threshold.  Those functions are supported in "fenix 3 HR" and newer high-end model.  Many running watches from Garmin supported VO2max, but supporting Lactate threshold function is still limited to the high-end models.



VO2max last 6 months

   Here is the trend of my VO2max.  Before the injury, it was around 43[ml/kg/min].  But after resuming running, it was dropped to 36[ml/kg/min].   Previous trend was staying more than 40, but just stopped running for a months, the number is significantly dropped.

 
Lactate Threshold (Heart rate / pace)

   The next plot is Lactate threshold.  The heart rate was slowly up from 160[bpm] and the value right before the injury was 163[bpm].   After resumed, it was slightly dropped to 162[bpm].  The pace was 5 minutes 30 seconds / km right before the injury.  Then, it was dripped to 5 minutes 47 seconds / km.  For this trend, I guess it might be hard to conclude the performance is getting worth.   But I think a little performance drop could be true.
   The both value has not been improved in 5 days.  At least VO2max is significant drop after the injury.

   Anyway, after age 50, the performance drop due to no training is getting bigger than at least 5 years ago (age 45).   Thinking about the fact, to keep a good performance, the best way is not get injured.  What I watch next a couple months will be checking the both value how I can improve the performance getting back before the injury, especially how long I need to take.  This date is probably very interested in how my training help to improve the performance.  Showing a number is a good scale to tell my performance and the result of the training.   I think it is very good feature to motivate daily training and monitor the progress.

(To be continue)

No comments:

Post a Comment