11/03/2016

GPS Watch selection in 2016 Fall ~ other usage?

for running?


GLONASS ~ Russian version of GPS

   If people want to use it just for hiking, I guess a reasonable battery capacity and built-in heart rate sensor would be enough.   Some of recent models can support GLONASS, which is Russian version of GPS, other than GPS.  In a reality, as long as a device supports GPS, then I do not believe we have issues.  All GPS devices currently I own, I have never seen any problem at all.  So, in my opinion, I do not think this is a big factor to select a GPS device.  It is just nice to have it.

Other sport usage?

    Just thinking about other sport usage, I guess it might be different selection depending on people do other sports, especially, if people want to use it for swimming / triathlon, the selection would be limited from Gamrin product line.  Any model does not support the built-in heart rate sensor during swimming.  But those models which support swimming would be able to monitor the heart rate with a special chest strap based heart rate sensors.   The models which can support the special heart rate sensor would be Forerunner 735XT and Fenix 3 HR.   Vivoactive HR also can support swimming, but the function is very limited.  I do not swim much, therefore, I do not have much idea in detail for swimming.
   The other major sport is running.   If people just want to log where they run, then any model would be all right.  There is a nice feature that people can download a custom training menu from Garmin Connect website in some models.  Also, some of models can estimate VOmax, Lactic threshold and capture some additional running dynamics and etc.   My current device, which is Forerunner 910XT, only have a feature to download the custom training menu.  The rest of the advanced features are not supported.
   If people are interested in following the training plan on Garmin Connect, the feature to download the menu is really convenient.  The device can provide the instruction and manage the time / heart rate.  Once people get used to do, it is really nice feature.   If people are not interested in the training plan or put a custom training to the device, it probably does not really matter.   Forerunner 35 / 235 only can support a simple interval training on the device.  I think it is probably all right for most of people.
   The rest of features are probably nice to have.   People can estimate VOmax with Cooper testing (12 minutes running).  Based on the distance people can run, people can tell their VOmax value from a chart.   To estimate lactic threshold is a bit harder, people might need to take a test or guess from their training data.  In my case, I really like to get extra data to analyze them to understand my fitness in different angles.

For Golf

   Fenix 3 HR and vivoactive HR supports a function for golf.   They can get course data to the device and find out the distance from the ball location to the green.  I do not play golf a lot and I am not really interested in the feature.  But it seems to be a convenient feature for golf lovers.

For outdoor sports

   Fenix 3 HR and vivoactive HR has many outdoor related features.  They are probably nice to have, but I do not believe they are really necessary.  The pressure based altitude meter and compass are convenient, but I really do not really care if a devise have a feature or not.   I may carry them independently if I really need.  They are just nice to have. 

The rest ….

   The rest of features are probably dimension, weight, price and outlook. They are really depending on each person.  Everybody has different expectation / taste and it is hard to say what would be a good one.  Just a personal opinion, Fenix 3 HR looks nice like a regular watch.  On the other hand, it is big / bulky and some people feel it might be too big.  In my case, I have been using Forerunner 910XT for a while, it is a big and I really do not feel like too big.   The other concern could be it is a bit expensive.   Regarding the dimension, Forerunner 35 is a small one, but the other one could be a similar size especially the display.   Fenix 3 HR is more than 80g which is almost double of Forerunner 235 / 735XT.  It really depends how people think / feel about the dimension / weight.
   For me, I am getting old and a big display help me that it is easy to read …..  This is another good thing for a big display.




No comments:

Post a Comment