11/20/2016

Garmin fenix 3 HR ~ Actual Battery life

Charging

Actual Battery Life

   I have been using Garmin fenix 3 HR for a while, I am reporting about actual battery life.  In my usage, the battery life is about 8 ~ 10 days.  I probably need to charge it once a week.  If the remaining capacity is less than 20 %, a warning message is shown up.

   My usage is about 5 hours outdoor running with GPS, 3 hours indoor activities and basic watch / active tracker function with step and heart rate monitoring.   Then, it is about 8 ~ 10 days.  After 1 week use, the battery remaining is less than 20% and I got the warning then I charge it once a week.

   Based on the specification, 16 hours in GPS mode and about 2 weeks with daily watch / activity tracker.  Just simple calculation is about 10 days and actual battery life is almost the same as the calculation.   In a reality, I won't use it till completely empty.  So charging once a week is probably a reasonable assumption.  Based on this, it might be hard to use full 2 days in hiking.  So that people need to charge it every night in hiking.

   I just estimate the battery life for the other models from Garmin based on this experience.  Forerunner 235 can be used 11 hours in GPS mode which is about 70% of fenix 3 HR.  Also Forerunner 735XT is about 87%.  In a reality, people need to charge it every 5~6 days.  This number is almost a similar as fenix 3.   Most of hiking, actual working time is probably less than 10 hours, therefore, this battery life is probably long enough for most of cases.

   Charging once a week for normal usage, personally, it is better than Apple Watch which requires to be charged almost every day.


No comments:

Post a Comment