11/16/2016

Garmin fenix 3 HR ~ First impression on running



 HRM-RUN

   Today, this is the first report for running with Fenix 3 HR.
   First of all, let’s look into some new features.  This is a comparison between Fenix 3 HR and Forerunner 910XT I have been using for a while.

New Features
   It is possible to use the built-in optical heart rate sensor, however, I decided to use chest-strap heart rate sensor for running.  Because it is much stable reading for running.   Thus, I got a new chest-strap based sensor “HRM-RUN” with fenix 3 HR.  The latest high-end devices from Garmin can monitor some additional running dynamics with “HRM-RUN”.  It also allows to monitor running cadence without a food-pod on a shoe.  The feature is enabled with “HRM-RUN”.   It is almost the same as my old chest-strap based heart rate monitor, but I feel a bit better than the old one.  I guess it might fit better.  But it really depends on each person.
Here is the new items we can monitor:

  • Vertical Ratio
  • Vertical Oscillation
  • Ground Contact Time Balance
  • Ground Contact Time
  • Run Cadence (without food-pod)
  • Temperature

   They are basically related to the running form.  I am not sure how much useful they are.  But we can get some additional information and we can check them when we are running.

VO2max / Lactate Threshold
   The other feature for running, it can estimate VO2max and Lactate threshold.   In my case, I have never measure those value in a formal method.  Thus, I cannot tell the value is reasonable or not.  But it is still useful to see the progress of training with this relative value over the training period.
   Especially, I used to do cooper test (12 minutes running) to estimate my VO2max before.  Now I can get a number with regular running training.  It is very interesting feature and they are one of a big reasons I pick this device.

After using fenix 3 HR for running
   A menu of the day was “Threshold run”.   After 10 minutes slow jog as a warming up, repeating 4 times of  5 minutes running in HR Zone 4 and 1 and half minutes running in HR Zone 2.  Then cooling down.
   The menu is from a free training plan on Garmin Connect that I have been following, “Full Marathon Level 1”.  The menu can be downloaded from Garmin Connect to the device.  Then the device can notify the training detail with alarm and vibration.  They are very convenient features during the training execution.   People also set up their own training either on the device or on Garmin Connect.  This feature exists in my old device Forerunner 910XT and I have been using it for a whole.   I am confirming that the feature is still in the new device as the same as the old device.  

Time to capture GPS satellites
   The new model can capture the GPS satellites much faster.   In the old model, it sometimes took a several minutes, but the new device can be ready within a few minutes.   I was frustrated to get the device is ready before.   The new device is significantly improve it.  This is highlighted in the device introduction and I confirmed it is really improved.

Basic operation?
   The button locations are not identical with the old device.  But basic concept to operate the device stays a similar enough.   I do not see any problem to use the new device at all.   Especially using for running is almost identical.   However, the new device can customize profile for each activity type, such as cardio in a gym, hiking and etc.   It is convenient to use the device for various spot activates. 

Overall impression
   I have been using Garmin product for a long time and I do not feel any major changes overall.   The display can be customized based on each person’s preference.   In my case, I only check, the heart rate, pace and time when I run.  The other information, I usually do not check at all.  So I do not have to customize a lot.   Only thing is my presbyopia is getting worse, therefore I just display just one item on a display at the same time.  It helps to read the information during running with a big display.  The overall size is a similar as my old Forerunner 910XT.  However, the display on the new device becomes color and quality of the display is getting better, so it is probably much clear in various situation.
   I do not have any plan to check the accuracy of the location and the heart rate.  Because it is a device from the same vendor, I think they are a similar or improved.   In a reality I cannot see any major difference for the location on a map and the heart rate data on Garmin Connect.  I do not think there is any problem for now.   Also, I do not see wrong high value reading in the beginning of training I saw in many data with Forerunner 910XT.   I will monitor this with accumulating number of tracking data.
   The other thing, the way to log the location data is “smart tracking” by default.   I plan to test “Normal mode” which is logging every second and “ultra-track mode”.   I think it is not a big problem for regular running.  However, it is possible not to log a record more than 10 seconds with “smart track mode”, therefore, if the route is not straight or bending many times, the actual running course is not the same as what it uses for the distance calculation.   In this case, the distance could be inaccurate.    If people needs more accurate data, it is probably better to use “normal tracking mode”. 

 Data on Garmin Connect
   After an activity, the tracking data will be updated through a smart phone, WiFi and / or PC to Garmin Connect, which includes the additional running dynamics data and graphs.  With the old device, I have to use PC to upload the data.  Now it is automatically uploaded via a smart phone and / or WiFi.  It is really convenient.   Also, Gamin Connect has a display to show the total time distribution for each HR Zone during an activity.  It is a good feature to check a heart rate based training as the menu defines.   I used to use own program to check it and it is automatically taking care of by the Garmin Connect with this device.

 Data example on Garmin Connect

Duration for each heart rate zone during the training


    I will continue to accumulating the data and evaluate them in detail in the future.
   Over all, there is no significant improvement, but there are many minor improvements in the new device.   The big one is collaborating with a smart phone to fit our current life style.  It is one of a good benefit for people who still use PC based device.  Although it is true the feature is not necessary, it is really convenient for many people.     

No comments:

Post a Comment