9/29/2016

Garmin Vivosmart HR (9) ~ Wrap up




Wrapping up Vivosmart HR
   I have been using Garmin Vivosmart HR about a half month.  Overall, this is a good one to keep tracking daily activity including heart rate 24/7.   The embedded wrist based heart rate sensor gives very similar reading as a chest strap heart rate sensor I have been using for a while.  The detail review is still on-going, however, overall it is reasonable to monitor the heart rate based on the past data I got with my usage, such as running, walking, hiking and cardio in a gym.  I probably keep using the chest strap sensor for running.  But it is probably good enough for hiking based on the result last 2 weeks.  Here is summary what I feel about this product. 

Battery life
   With my current usage, which is wearing the device almost all day with 30 minutes to 90 minutes workout with heart rate monitoring, the battery life with a single full charging is about 3 ~ 4 days.  So I probably need to charge the device twice a week.   I have not tried to use this device with activity tracking mode for very long time like all day yet.  However just check the heart rate, we do not have to use activity tracking mode.  Therefore, we will be able to use at least 3 ~ 4 days without charging again.  The heart rate sampling in non-activity tracking mode would not be so often.  However it is probably all right for managing the pace during a hiking I have been talked in this blog.

Sleep tracking
   This feature exists in the previous model “Vivosmart”, however, the auto-sleep detection feature is much better in Vivosmart HR.  For most of automated detection, I do not have to adjust it.  This is a big improvement from the previous model.

Display
   It is also improved from the previous model.  It is better even if under sun light.  Also, I think the operation is improved as well.  In the previous model, to enable the display, I need to tap the display.  Also to get a menu, I also need to hold the display.  In the new model, the basic display is always on and there is a dedicated button to get the menu.    The touch screen operation is also getting much better.  In my opinion, it is much better to use this device than the previous “Vivosmart” during hiking.  Although the heart rate trend graph is small, it is a good information to see the heart rate trend during hiking.

Activity tracking
   The menu is changed, there are categories, running, walking, cardio and others.  I do not know what is actually different between them.  At least running and walking, they are using different a step length to calculate the distance.  Also, there is no distance / pace information for cardio, only heart rate information shows up in the result.
   The big difference from the previous model is Vivosmart HR has embedded wrist based heart rate sensor.  Therefore, I do not have to wear the chest band based heart rate sensor to monitor during a training.  The detail evaluation is still on-going, but so far I am getting very good result for my usage, such as running, walking and hiking.   As I mention earlier, I would probably use the chest strap sensor for some training for running, but it is good enough for hiking and some “casual training”.   Especially some indoor activity which cannot be tracked with GPS, this is a good device for such purpose.

Floor climbing
   In the Garmin web site, a feature table shows there is “barometric altimeter”, however, it is not really “altimeter”.  The feature probably just using to find out “stair climbing”.   It shows some, however, it is not very useful for me.   So I disable this display.

24/7 Heart Rate Monitor
   This is a new feature.  For most of healthy people, they might not be interested in so much.  However, I am interested in this feature to see if there is any difference between the daily heart rate and high altitude environment, especially during sleep.  Actually, that is one of motivation I am evaluating the embedded wrist based heart rate sensor.  This would be an interesting data after the actual walking to see if there is any new finding and some sign for the altitude acclimatization.  Overall, the embedded heart rate sensor could be close enough to check this type of data.  So I will plan to capture some data in my next Mt. Whitney trip.
  Also, it is very easy to figure out the resting heart rate for the heart rate zone definition.  There are a few different method to define the heart rate zone for the heart rate based training.  One is using just the maximum heart rate with a percentage of the maximum heart rate.  The other is using reserved range which is defined by the resting heart rate and the maximum heart rate.  The second option would be a better way to define the heart rate zone in my opinion.  The Garmin device has another setup based on a lactate threshold.  However it is not easy to find out a person’s lactate threshold.  There are some devices which can estimate the lactate threshold value.  That would be another item I want to evaluate in the future with the other device. 

Wrist based heart rate sensor
   To measure heart rate during a workout, I used to use chest strap heart rate sensor during a workout.  I compare the measurement data between the two sensors how much gap we can see.  Based on my experiment, overall reading is close enough for typical running, walking, hiking and cardio in a gym.  The both sensors might have incorrect reading sometime.  I am not really sure why the incorrect reading happens.  I usually wear them almost the same way and the incorrect part is not the entire workout, it is usually just a part of workout only.  Once one of sensor reading becomes incorrect the offset between the sensors is getting bigger.  Based on the past data, the chest strap type sensor tends to be inaccurate in the beginning.  However, I saw sometime in the middle of a workout.  The wrist based sensor sometimes gets incorrect reading anytime or random, but usually the duration of incorrect reading is short, most of them are spike.   Overall, the chest based sensor gives us more stable reading comparing with the wrist based sensor.  It seems the chest strap sensor could be more accurate than the wrist based sensor in general and I probably continue to use the chest strap sensor for some point training for running.  But for a casual running, jogging, walking and hiking, I would use the wrist based sensor.  It is much easier for me not to wear the chest strap sensor for those activities.  Especially during hiking, without wearing the chest strap based sensor, I guess I would be much more comfortable in many cases.
   One item I have not done my testing is broadcasting the heart rate reading through ANT+.  Basically for the other device such as handy GPS device with map, a legacy GPS watch which requires an external heart rate sensors like my Forerunner 910, they can pair this Vivosmart HR and we can get the heart rate number instead of the chest strap sensor.  This feature is probably useful if people using a handy GPS device with map to log a hiking data.  This is one of good option to track heart rate and the location information during hiking.  I will plan to do some testing in the future. 

My conclusion
   Vivosmart HR is a good device to track daily activities.  It could be a good option to use for the heart rate based pacing I have been talking in my posting.  This device can broadcast the heart rate data to the other device through ANT+.  Therefore, we can track the locations and heart rate with those device.  It is a good option for hiking.  The battery life with some active tracking mode is something around 3~ 4 days.  So most of hiking can be covered.  The handy GPS device is usually using standard size of battery and it is easy to replace.  Thus, people do not have to worry about the battery life so much.   The high end running GPS device with longer battery life is usually very expensive just for hiking.  Unless people also do some serious running, it might be too much.  I am basically stick to Garmin due to the past data in Garmin Connect website, based on the recent product line, running GPS devices battery life is something around 12 hours for most of product.  They are probably not enough for most of people for a day trip to Mt. Whitney.  The round trip probably takes more than 12 hours for most of people.  So for those people, they probably need Forerunner 735 / Fenix 3 with the embedded wrist based heart rate monitor to cover a day trip hiking to Mt. Whitney.  People just need up to 10 hours a day, then they have more choice to pick low end models which is starting from around USD $200, such as Forerunner 35, 235, Vivoacitve HR and etc.  If people look for a low cost solution, Vivosmart HR could be a good option

No comments:

Post a Comment