9/17/2016

Garmin Vivosmart HR (5) ~ Summary of Heart Rate date this week

 September 9, 2016

 September 10, 2016
September 11, 2016
 September 12, 2016
 September 13, 2016
September 14, 2016
 September 16, 2016
September 17, 2016

About a week since I started using Vivosmart HR

   I posted comparison between the wrist based heart rate sensor and the chest band base heart rate sensor.   Today, I summarize the heart rate data for the last 8 days.   The above is the data from September 9th to 17th.   I took a rest on September 15 and there is no data for the day.

Overall it is accurate!

   First of all, as you probably tell if you see above, the overall trend is matched between the chest band heart rate sensor and the wrist based heart rate sensor.   There are some small parts where the sensor reading is offsetting.   However, it is probably all right to say the trend is almost the same and we can ignore those incorrect part.   The primary purpose is not really measure accurate heart rate value.  The key is using the heart rate reading as a guide line of a training.   The offset is reasonably small and there is not a big deal for most of usage.

The chest band sensor is much stable

   I a short summary, the chest based sensor is much stable.  There is some fracturation in the reading for the both sensors, but the chest based sensor has less fracturation.  Please note that based on the past data, even the chest based sensor, it gives some incorrect data some time.  So it is no way to get always a correct data for the both sensors.
   However, the wrist based sensor is much convenient without wearing the chest band sensor.  Personally, it is worth to have the wrist based heart rate sensor in many cases.

The reason for offsetting?

   I do not have a good reason why the offsetting.  However, the offset is much smaller when I did a training in a gym.  I think a big offsetting happens when I did training outdoor, especially I sweating a lot during the training.  So I guess it is something related sweating.   However, the offsetting part is limited portion and not entire training.  So it is difficult to conclude this is due to sweating.

A good way to use the heart rate data

   I think the data will be useful / reliable with averaging.  Most of Gamin running watches have an option to show the heart rate plotting on the display.  This would be a good feature to use the heart rate data.   However, the display mode on Vivosmart HR is too small to tell detail heart rate data.   I think some higher class product or one on Garmin Forerunner 910XT would be a good one which can be checked during running and hiking.  It is one of way to eliminate some illegal reading.

   I still plan to collect more data for the both heart rate sensors for a while and analyze what they look like.   Based on data in a past week, they look good.   I will plan to use the wrist base heart rate sensor for hiking next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment