7/10/2017

Good time for hiking ~ Minimize impact of high altitude sickness during hiking


Yosemite National Park (July/2016)

   It is mid July and this is a good time for hiking.   Kids started summer vacation in the United States.  I think many people plans to go hiking this summer.
   I keep posting about a method to manage hiking pace based on heart rate with a running watch, activity trackers.   Finally, I published a kindle book last April in Japanese.  I have been working on its English edition now.  This book is based on my past data for Mt. Whitney hiking.  Mt. Whitney is very popular destination for hiking in California.  (Japanese Edition -- High Tech pace management)
  There are some mountains over 12,000 feet, that many people easily hike, such as Mt. Whitney, White mountain, Mt. Dana (which is in the photo in this posting.  If you have a GPS tracking data with heart rate, please share your data for my further study.

   As I mentioned, I am working on the English edition, but it will take some time.  Therefore, I introduce a simple method in this positing.  Please try this if you hike high elevation.

1. Estimate your maximum heart rate from your age
   A popular formula to estimate the maximum heart rate by age is "220 - (age)".  As an example, I am 50 years old and my estimated value is "220 - 50 = 170".  So that my value is 170 (bpm).  This value may not be very accurate.  Since the maximum heart rate depends on each person depending on the fitness and regular training situation.  However, this value could be a good enough as a placeholder or starting point.  (This is not a generic,  this is based on my past data)

 2. Calculate heart rate zone
   The next step is to calculate heart rate zone with a spreadsheet software like MS-Excel.   The calculation is to get heart rate number in 50% ~ 100% of the maximum heart rate by 10% step, which is 50%, 60%, 70%, 80%, 90% and 100%.  They are used to define each heart rate zone, the zone 1 is 50~60% range and zone 5 is 90 _ 100%.   The following is an example of my case.


Example of heart rate zones
3. A guide line of walking pace during hiking.
   Based on my experience, we need to stay in zone 3 which is 70~80% of the maximum heart rate or lower.  In my case, 119 (bpm) ~ 136 (bpm) or lower.

4. Heart rate monitor
   People can use an activity tracker, running watch with GPS, Apple watch to monitor your heart rate during hiking.   One for running, it usually has a feature to notify with alarm or vibration if the heart rate is out of a range people set.  This is really convenient feature to manage the walking pace during hiking.

5. When the heart rate is out of range, it is getting higher than the maximum limit.  Then, people need to slow down or stop to lower the heart rate.  If the duration over the limit is getting higher or the heart rate stays higher, I think it is time to take a rest to lower the heart rate.   If the heart rate is not getting lower with a rest, I think it is a sign to consider to stop hiking.  Especially, people feel some headache, nausea and etc, it is safe to stop hiking at that point.  Even people do not feel anything wrong, but the heart rate is staying high is probably a sign to stop hiking in many cases.


  In many article to minimize the impact of high altitude sickness, it is better to walk slowly.  However it is not very clear how slow.  This is a good method to define the pace with clear guide line.  I think this pace might be too easy especially in the beginning of hiking.   However, there is some gap between your feeling and actual situation of your body.   Therefore, it is better to see your heart rate is one of clear factor to understand your condition / situation.

   Please share your experience and data if you try this method.  It will help my further study on this topics.

   Enjoy your hiking this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment