7/08/2017

Garmin fenix 3 HR ~ 24 hour heart rate monitor


Trend of resting heart rate last 12 months

   The recent running watches and activity trackers from Garmin have embedded optical heart rate sensor and monitor heart rate 24/7 other than activities.  Some of high-end models has a feature to estimate stress factor, but those daily heart rate trend helps to understand the health condition.

   Anyway, the key is having / accumulating data over time as a history.   The the trend shows rough health condition.   The first plot shows the last 12 months average resting heart rate.   The late last year, the average was less than 60 bpm.  However the trend is increasing the resting heart rate.  This is probably because the time I spent for training is getting less due to injury, flu, weather (more rainy day) and expiring a membership of a fitness club.  Nowadays, my average resting heart rate is between 60 bpm and 70 bpm.


Data for last 4 weeks

   Those are clear if we see data with last 4 weeks data.   After recovering from FRU, I resume running about 2 weeks ago (June 24th), the period I took a rest, the trend is increasing the resting heart rate.   However once I resume running, the trend is decreasing the resting heart rate.   I can see a similar trend with other time.  So this is not only data, but also I do see a similar trend in a similar situation.

Last 7 days data

   Further more, based on data last 7 days, a day after a hard training, the resting heart rate is usually getting higher.  Also, if my sleeping time is less than usual, then it is also getting higher.  This is also not only this period, but I do see a similar trend in other time.   It seems that it is getting higher when I feel tired, feeling bad and etc for me.   I think the data shows if I have less sleeping, then the resting hart rate is getting higher.


A daily data

   Here is an example of a daily data.   It seems that the heart late getting lower slowly during sleeping.   If I do not have enough sleeping time, the heart late might not get lowest point since getting up and start moving for a daily life.   Also, if I sleep longer like weekend, then the resting hart rate is saturated and almost constant value after a point.  This is probably explain why many people says people need to have enough sleeping to recover.   In my case around 7 ~ 8 hours sleeping to get the lowest resting heart rate.  If I sleep more, the resting heart rate is almost constant.  So I probably need around 7 hour sleeping to have enough rest / recovery daily.

  As I mentioned a couple times in posting about heart rate base pace management during hiking.  I am really interested in my heart rate when I sleep in higher elevation such as Mt. Whitney.   In my case, I know my trend in camping in a regular elevation where is a similar as our daily life is similar as I sleep at home.   So I want to know how it changes in higher elevation.

   This is one of area to have a latest "smart watch" with embedded heart rate sensor.  It is a good tool to understand my health situation.


No comments:

Post a Comment