8/08/2016

Foot wear for hiking, especially long hiking



My favorite hiking shoes

   I made me consider about footwear for Mt. Whitney hiking this year.  The reason was it was expected there would be much snow on the trail.  A few weeks before my entrance date, it was snowing and many people still climbed the “Chute” instead of the switchback.  The “Chute” is steeper than the summer trail, which is called “switchback” on Mt. Whitney Trail.  When I need to climb the “Chute” on snow, I probably need crampons and probably an ice axe.   On the other hand, there was not much snow below Trail Camp, actually it was almost snow free and it was very hot weather.   So that I was thinking what would be my best choice of footwear for the hiking.   As my solution, I picked light hiking boots with crampons.  I think that it was a right decision after hiking.  Actually, I did not use crampons and an ice axe at all this time.   The temperature around trail head was something around 100 degrees F.  As I mentioned in my report, some people brought 2 pairs of boots, one was a pair of light hiking boots and the other was a pair of rigid mountaineering boots.  They wore the light hiking boots below Trail Camp and probably wore the mountaineering boots above Trail Camp.  I think that is one of options.  I also considered the same option as well. But I did not pick it because it would be extra weight of my stuff.
   Nowadays, I have a couple choices when I go hiking:

  • Light hiking shoes
  • Light hiking boots
  •  Mountaineering boots
  • Tour ski boots
  •  Running shoes

   They are what I have now.   If it is a short hiking in local area, I usually pick running shoes.   They are usually good enough and they are light and comfortable.   Then most of past Mt. Whitney hiking, I picked light hiking shoes.  I think they would be good enough when there is no snow on a trail and just a few nights on the trail.  I usually wear shoes instead of boots, I rarely use the other boots.


Mountaineering Boots ~ I do not have many chance to ware them nowadays


   My mountaineering boots has insulation maternal and it can be too much unless the hiking is always on snow.   I use them when I hike to Mt. Shasta, Lassen National Park in early spring.   (I have not been any real winter hiking / climbing for a while).  Although, they would be the best combination with crampons since the boots are rigid.


Backcountry ski boots (Tour ski boots)



   The tour ski boots are only for backcountry skiing.  They are not good selection if we need to walk other than snow for long time.   In this case even if I do backcountry skiing, I rather carry hiking shoes to walk not on snow.


Hiking Boots


   I have not used my light hiking boots for a while because I am much more comfortable with the hiking shoes in many cases.  However, to attach crampons, shoes might not be very good selection.  It is possible to do, but the combination might not be very stable.   I was thinking to wear light hiking shoes and just carrying crampons just in case.  That was also one of options.   However, when I really need crampons, it would be much better to combine boots instead of shoes.   Therefore, I did not pick the option.

Combination with Crampons
   Combination of light hiking boots and crampons is probably not the best.  But based on my experience, it would be probably all right in most conditions in early summer.  Since people do not have to wear crampons all the way, especially a section where there is no snow on a trail.  Also, usually the section people really need to wear crampons is not very long and not very steep.  Then, it still work with crampons.   Personally, in those situations, it is probably all right with shoes.  As long as the sole of shoes is not very soft, it might work.  But people might need to check the way to attach crampons to shoes.  Crampons I have, some part of strap to attach crampons is not on shoes and directly touch my foot.  Therefore, I am not very comfortable to wear crampons with my shoes.  That was one of reason I picked light hiking boots this time.   When people consider to attach crampons to light hiking shoes / boots, I would recommend to check the combination what it looks before making decision.   Especially, the sole is soft, people might not want to do the combination.

Water proof
   The other thing is water proof.   People need to cross a water stream, or small creek, in a several location on Mt. Whitney Trail.   If I read someone’s report carefully or watched some Youtube video, I found some people took the shoes / boots off when they crossed a stream.   In early summer when snow melting a lot, the water volume could be larger and it might be hard to jump one stone to the other without wetting feet.  To avoid wetting, some people take shoes / boots off.
   However, I did not have to take them off even if I hiked the same day / a similar time.  Yes, lower part of boots was in the water stream, but I did not get wet at all.  The depth in the water was something around one inch.   As long as, the boots has reasonable water proof material, I guess it would be all right.   I guess it might be wet if people wear shoes.  So, it might not be better not to pick shoes in early summer on Mt. Whitney Trail.   In the past I did not have much problem in August, September and October.   

Conclusion
   I probably need to get better hiking boots which has a better fitting with crampons and water proof for my future hiking.    Especially people only have a pair of footwear, I think it is much universal solution.  But if people won’t go a trail which does not have snow and crossing water stream, not do camping on the trail, I would think light hiking shoes would be a good selection.  The other benefit picking boot is protecting your foot / ankle. 
   Unless people do “climbing” steep snow slopes or rocks with crampons in winter / spring or high altitude, they probably do not need mountaineering boots.
   For running shoes, it is probably all right for hiking in local hills in lower elevation.   But people need to be aware, the sole might be slippery on a rock especially wetly.  Also they are poor waterproof.




No comments:

Post a Comment