6/10/2018

Smart Hiking (6) ~ Total Time with different pace

Total time from Whitney Porta (Trailhead) to Trail Camp

I went hiking to Mt. Whitney a several times in the past years.  I hiked some different pace on Mt. Whitney Trail.  Trail Camp is one of major camp sites on the trail.  From the trail head, the distance to Trail Camp is about 6+ miles.   The total duration in this section is 264 ~ 346 minutes.  Actual walking time which excludes the resting time is from 202~243 minutes.

In 2012, I went there with a friend who did not have much experience for hiking.  Therefore the overall pace is very slow and we took longer resting.  The other years, the actual walking time is probably very similar 202 ~ 229 minutes.   However, the feeling was very different.  In 2011, it was obviously over pace and I felt very exhausted.  However, the rest of years, I did not feel exhausted at all.  I felt something much easier than 2011.  Primary difference between 2011 and the other years was walking pace.

In 2011, I tried to maintain the original pace as well as I can.  However, I could not keep the same pace due to high altitude sickness and I was slowing down significantly and it was very very slow near Trail Camp and I was really exhausted.   However in 2015, the total time was almost the same as 2011, but this year I did not feel exhausted at all.  After 2014, I tried to set a target heart rate and tried to maintain my heart rate below the target.   In 2014, the target was somewhere around 160 bpm, in 2015 somewhere around 155 and in 2016 somewhere around 150.

This is very interesting data I found from my records.   Yes, it is much easy to slow down the pace.  However, it does not seem that there is not much difference for the total time and the feeling is very different.   So, I realized there is a way to "optimize" the pace.

(To be continue)

No comments:

Post a Comment