5/21/2016

Monitoring heart rate ~ Activity tracker Garmin VivoSmart

Garmin VivoSmart

I have a couple different device to monitor heart rate.  Today, I am writing about an activity tracking device, Garmin VivoSmart.  This device is basically tracking a daily activity such as steps in a daily life.   Also this device is capable to monitor heart rate during an fitness activities with an external heart rate monitor.   The distance is estimated based on number of steps.  The accuracy might not be very accurate comparing with a device with GPS feature.  However, it is probably reasonable for most of people.  As long as people can compare day-to-day activities, then it is good enough for this purpose.

This device works with the embedded chargeable battery.  The capacity is probably enough for a week.  This is also good in hiking.  A week is good enough for most of hiking activities.

I got this device to monitor my daily activity.  I am not really using this during hiking because I have a running watch with GPS.   I got this device last September, in 2015.  However, I got replacement twice within six months.  The first time was in November 2015, the device did not work at all, no display.  The second time was March, the device is still working as long as using as standalone.  Everything functional except to upload the activity data to the website.  I have no idea why it got wrong.  I did not nothing unusual.   But it seems that I am not lucky.  My wife also has the same model and she does not have any problem more than 6 months.  The Garmin customer service is good, I can get the replacement in a short time in the both cases.

I think this is a good device if a person does not have any GPS based device.  The cost with the heart rate monitor is less than USD $200.   Also a newer model has a feature embedded heart rate monitor.  So that people do not have to ware the external heart rate monitor.






No comments:

Post a Comment