9/04/2018

Garmin fenix 5 Plus (5XPlus) ~ This is really cool!


Garmin fenix 5X Plus (from Garmin.com)

I just wrapped reports for hiking to Mt. Whitney this year.   I was looking into some new product on the internet.  I found another new product from Garmin, "fenix 5 Plus" series.  This is really cool.  What I own is fenix 3 HR.  When fenix 5 was introduced, I did not really want to get it since not much new features were added and it was not really attractive for me.  However, this one "fenix 5 Plus" is really attractive for me.

The big one is they added Pulse oximeter function.  This means the device can capture all data I really want during hiking.  I do not have to carry a pulse oximeter to hiking anymore.  Also, it is easy to collect SPO2 value when I walk.  It is really helpful to collect more useful data for "smart hiking" I am writing in this blog.  This is really good one for hiking in higher elevation.

The price is a bit expensive, the low end model which is "fenix 5S" the price is starting from about $800 however, the pulse oximeter function is not supported.  It seems that the function is available for the high-end model 5X, which is starting from USD $850.  The model also includes map function, although the display might be too small to use the map function.  But it might be better than nothing.

So I am considering to get it some time in the future.  It might be hard to get it any time soon, but I really want to get it!  In a mean while, I will collect more information and review in the internet.
I think it is really good one for serious hikers who is looking for a GPS tracking device.

No comments:

Post a Comment