2/04/2018

BAOFENG VHF/UHF dual band tranciever - UV-5R

BAOFENG UV-5R

Got inexpensive tranciever BAOFENG  UV-5R

   Since I got amatuer radio licence recently, I bought an inexpensive VHF/UHF dual band tranciever BAOFENG UV-5R as my first tranciever.  When I was doing amatuer radio in Japan is more than 30 years ago and I have no idea what the recent situation.   I started looking for a tranciever in Amazon and I found a low price one, which is BAOFENG bland.   It is starting someting below USD $30.  There are some famous blands like YAESU, KENWOOD, ICOM and etc.  They are really familar.  However their price is much more expensive.  Even a handy type tranciever, it is starting more than USD $100. 

   Based on internet search, it seems that they are not too bad and I decided to get two including one for my son who also got the license recently.

Initial impression

   My initial impression is good!  With that cost, it is more than expected.   It works good.   Based on some articls, people recommend to get a programming cable through PC.   I also got it and there are many articles which show how to program on the internet.  I followed them and it is really easy to program channes.  Even if just using the key pad to manually program channels is not so difficult.  Just initial programming for local repeaters, I would think I do not need a cable if the programming is just once.

Local activities in 2m / 70cm band

   I live in Tri-valley, where is Pleasanton / Dublin area in Alamenda county near Silicon Valley in California.   Based on my experience to watch the bands last several days, I did not hear much activities.  I guess it is probably due to no-exteral antena.   However, if I visit San Jose area, I heard more activities.  So I guess there might not be many stations in my local area.   I thought there might be more activities in those bands.  That is my impression in the first week.

   The other impression is not much activities in FM simplex channels.   Most of activities I heard was through repeater.    I probably need more time to figure out how I can get into the amatuer radio community in my area.

   Anyway, I finally get into amatuer radio world in the US..... Let's how things go.....







No comments:

Post a Comment