2/18/2018

APRS for hiking and back country skiing


Tracking locations with APRS 

   The other thing I am interested in using amateur radio is APRS (Automatic Packet Reporting System), especially GPS information.   There are many similar system using the mobile network.   However, there is still a lot of area in mountain where any network is not covered.   Using amateur radio to sending out the location information and tracked by somebody else.  I think it helps rescue in case something happens during hiking and back country skiing.

   Since I sometimes went hiking / skiing alone and avalanche beacon might not be very useful if anybody does not see the accident.   However, this APRS GPS information might help to find out a rough location where the accident is.  It might be too late to rescue a person...... 

   Based on my research recently, there are a couple amateur radio hand held transceivers which can support APRS with GPS information.   The price is a bit expensive with the feature, but I am really interested in the feature.  So I am considering to get one some time and tried how it covers in areas I often go.   There is some digital transceivers made in China have GPS feature, but it is not very clear if they ca support APRS.  Some articles on the internet says it works, but it is not very clear it is really works.   The price for those Chinese transceivers are not very low cost like BAOFENG analog transceivers I got.   So I might need to do my research more.  Please advice if anybody has a better experience to use the location service with APRS.

No comments:

Post a Comment