12/03/2017

Pace management with heart rate for hiking (2) ~ Heart Rate Zone definition

Heart rate sensor for running

   Regarding a method to define a target heart rate for hiking, I think one of good methods is probably based on heart rate zone.   However, there are a few different way to define heart rate zones and the range of the heart rate zone is vary depending on how it is defined.  For detail, I will plan to publish a kindle book to talk about a method to manage hiking pace with heart rate soon!

   As an example using my data, I am 51 years old now (as of December / 2017).   A typical formula to estimate the maximum heart rate is "220 - age".  Based on this formula estimated maximum heart rate for myself is 169 bpm.   However, based on the past training data, actual maximum heart rate for myself is 178 bpm.

Maximum Heart rate the past 6 months
(Based on the training data)

   If I use this value and calculate the heart rate zone, the value will be different.   To be safe, I assume the target heart rate is "zone 2" which is 60~70%.

  • Based on the formula: 101 ~ 118 bpm
  • Based on the actual value: 107 ~ 125 bpm
   Thus there is some gap around a several bpm between the two different maximum heart rate value.  Also, there is another method with reserved heart rate range which is using actual range of the heart rate.  The formula will be "(maximum HR - resting HR) * xx% + resting HR".   xx% would be 60~70% for zone 2.  We need a resting heart rate value and based on the training data in the past 6 months, my number is 59 bpm.

Resting heart rate in the past 6 months

   The calculated value for zone 2 would be:
  • 130 ~ 142 bpm
   The last method is based on lactate threshold.   The variation is huge depending on how we define the heart rate zone.   Lactate threshold could be estimated the latest running device like Garmin fenix 3 HR.   My number is 165 bpm and zone 2 would be 134 ~ 146 bpm.  (The formula I use is from a web site which is 81% ~ 89% of lactate threshold heart rate)
  • 134 ~ 146 bpm
   This method is higher side result.   If people do a training based on the heart rate, this range needs to be reasonably accurate.   Since the strength of training depends on the heart rate, therefore this value is really key for the training menu.   However, it is not really key to define hiking pace and I believe using lower side might be safer.

   Based on my training experience, 134~147 bpm which is calculated based on lactated threshold value, might be reasonable range for myself.  It is also reasonable result for my past Mt. Whitney hiking.  This is just my opinion and less than 120 bpm for myself is probably too low.  I think we must adjust based on the training / hiking data.

   There might be a couple things to apply this method in general.  One is people who are doing training regular bases and the other is people who are NOT doing training regular bases.   For the next post I will try to write my opinion how we need to think about the target value with the heart rate zones.
(To be continue ....)

No comments:

Post a Comment