10/03/2017

Mt. Whitney Hiking 2017 (12) ~ Decided not to go this year ....

Mt. Whitney Trail ~ Fall in 2012

Based on my original plan, I had planned to hike Mt. Whitney last weekend.  However there were many activities for our kids during the weekend and I could not make it happen.  Therefore, I won’t go hiking to Mt. Whitney this year.
It is getting cold, but there might be still good condition in October.   However, there might be a chance to get snowing anytime, actually it was snowing already…   So people who still want to be there need to prepare well for snowing and cold weather.
Regarding my training for this hiking, I am doing a training plan for “full marathon”.  Due to some minor injury I stopped training a several weeks in early summer.   However, the last several weeks, I am getting recovered and it would be a good shape for this hiking.   I was planning to be there till last minutes.
As you can see my last a few posting about VO2max / Lactate Threshold from Garmin Running device, the value shows my improvement last a few weeks.   I think it is a good idea to use a full marathon plan for this long hiking.   It is probably better to run some hill route at least once or twice a week to train muscles for ascending.   Just running on a flat route might not be enough for this hiking in my opinion.
Lactate Threshold for Running last 6 mounths


VO2 max last 6 months

VO2max is recovered to 40 [ml/kg/min] (This year’s max was ‘43’).  Lactate Threshold is 166bpm/around 6 minutes / km.   As I mentioned in the previous posting, the early part of this training plan is a little easy for me and value was drop a little in the beginning.   However, it is getting enough intensity last a few weeks and my number is getting improved.   This data shows probably 3 ~ 4 times a week with one intensive training and one long distance (time) running would be a good plan for hiking.

I will continue this type of training to maintain my fitness level for hiking next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment