9/08/2017

Garmin fenix HR feature ~ Estimating Lactate Threshold / VO2max

Lactate Threshold Pace (Last 6 months)

Lactate Threshold HR (Last 6 months)

VO2max (Last 6 months)

Lactate Threshold Estimation on Garmin High-End Running device

   The last posting was talking about VO2 max for a factor of training progress.  Garmin started supporting this estimating feature most of running devices (above Forerunner 35).   My device, fenix 3 HR, supports to estimate Lactate Threshold (LT) as well.

   The devices shows LT with LT Heart rate and LT pace.   I did not have very good idea how I use the both data.  I did not have enough data to talk about my analysis before.  Now I have probably enough data to talk about LT feature.  As I explained my training activities last 6 months in my previous posting:

  • April: Just finished "Full marathon level 2" training -- Good fitness condition
  • May:  Due to injury late in April, I stopped running about 4 weeks
  • June:  Resumed training, but stopped again due to FRU for 3 weeks
  • July:   Resumed training, every other days 5km - 10km, rested for 1 week in the last week
  • August - September: Started "Full marathon level 1", 3 times a week
  • September -- my health condition is not very well last a several days

   Since last a several days in September, my health condition has not been very well, but I did not take a rest.  Therefore, my performance was not very well.  That is why I do see most of factors are dropped in September.

LT Heart Rate

   The range of LT Heart rate last 6 months is 163-167 [bpm].  The delta between the minimum and the maximum is only 4 [bpm].   My opinion, this is not much difference, but I think slightly improved due to the training a little.  Even if I stopped training, it was not really getting worse.  As long as I tried to do something regular basis, this might not change a lot.  Maybe people who does not have training for a long time, it may be improved with some regular based training.

LT Pace

   The range of LT pace last 6 months is 5:31 ~ 6:23 [MM:SS].   The delta is close to 1 minute.  If I stopped the training, the number was getting worse and once I resumed running, it was getting better slowly.  The trend is very similar as VO2max.

My analysis

   I think LT HR is probably not much change as long as people continue to training for long time and LT Pace and VO2max could be a good factor to see the progress.  Either one could be used to measure the progress of the training.  Many models support VO2max estimation, but LT estimation is limited only some high-end model.   The high-end models have more nice features and the prices is much higher than other low-mid class models.   So if you just need a basic features, I think Forerunner 35/235 would be good.   Also 735 price is getting lower due to some other new models.

   The other factors, VO2max estimates works with the embedded heart rate sensor.  However for LT estimation, chest-strap heart rate sensor is requires.   Also, to estimate LT, people need to do relatively hard workout than VO2max estimation.  VO2 max estimation can be done with a light workout.  I am not sure how it is accurate.  But even I ran slowly, the value is a similar number as I did heard work out.   So with those factors, I would think VO2 max is probably more convenient in my opinion.




No comments:

Post a Comment