3/03/2014

Garmin Training Plan (2)

Last year I mentioned about Garmin Training Plan.  Here is some update based on my experience.

My situation

In my case, I got stress fracture on my left leg.  After the injury, I did not run or any training that impacts to my leg at all.  Therefore, my leg was getting weaker than before.   I picked a plan for full-marathon, but it seemed to be too much after the injury.   I got another injury, which was plantar fasciitis, after a few months of training for full marathon.

I was not ready to take full marathon plan.

Other similar cases

Many people who used to run when they were young.   However, if they have not run for a long time, they could not be ready to take full marathon plan, either.

It is not clearly indicates any notes, but I think it assume that people who take the plan need to have some level of running experience.   So that if people are not ready to take the plan, they will also get some injury during the plan.

I would think they need to start something less distance first and stepping up to the next level.

My near term plan

Due to another injury, I am not running on a road or treadmill in a gym.  Because they are cause of some impact to my legs.   A doctor suggest me not to do any training that impacts to legs.
So that I am only doing elliptical and stationary bike for a while.   Now, my left foot is getting better.  I only feel some pain when I get out from a bed in the morning.

After the pain is completely gone, I would start with 5km plan and step-by-step to increase the target distance.

I think many people who just resume running or first time to try long distance running.  I would recommend starting with shorter distance first.   It may not be a good idea to try full marathon menu.
I guess most of first time runners might not try full marathon for the first time.  However who had some experience to complete full marathon before might want to try full marathon after resume running.   They might need to be more careful to take such long distance plan in the beginning.

The situation could be vary and some people might be OK to start with full marathon plan.  Even starting with 5km plan, some people may get injury and they might start with walking or something easier menu.   People may need to understand where they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment