3/15/2014

100 mountains in Japan ~a list of good mountains

One of Japanese culture

Japanese people really likes to pick a few or many items from a area of interest something like top three something, then many people try to follow those selection as a sort of accomplishment.

100 mountains in Japan

In a hiking world, there is a famous mountain selection by a person called "100 mountains in Japan".  The person select the mountains is Kyuya Fukada, an essayist in Japan.  He visited many mountains and based on his point of view, he picked top 100 mountains in Japan.

According to Wikipedia, although the Wikipedia article is in Japanese, he publish an essay about the 100 mountains in 1964.  After that many people try to visit all 100 mountains and this is one of famous achievement as a hiker.     

The mountains are located all over Japan and this is a good goal to visit many areas in Japan.  So that this is not only hiking, but also a good thing to visit many different region in Japan.  The selection includes a famous Mt. Fuji.

My personal opinion

I am not sure if they are "famous 100" or "top 100".  This is really his selection and different people think different opinion.  Therefore, I did not translate it as "famous" or "top".   However, I also agree they are nice good mountains in Japan.   Many of selections are really famous and a sort of a symbol in a region.   Because of they may be popular in the region, many of them could be easy to access as well.  But some of them, it might be hard to approach and people may take a few days to reach the top.   So to hike all of them is not really easy task.

The reason I am writing this blog in English is trying to introduce Japan or some Japanese culture is one of my goal.   Because many information about Japan is still in Japanese.  So if people plan to do a hiking when they visit Japan, I would like to help to provide some information to them.

I thing this selection could be a good starting point to select the one.   As I mentioned above, some of them might not be a good choice for foreign people due to access to some mountains.   But many of them are really famous and relatively easy to access.   Also, it is easy to find out a guide book or information in the internet since many people visit there and post some report and articles.

In a past days, I wrote about Mt. Tanigawa and Mt. Tsurugi, the both of them are listed in his selection as well.   I will continue to introduce mountains in Japan based on my experience!!  However I just started and it may take some time to accumulate the information.  That is why I am writing about the 100 selection today.

I guess people can find some information to search in the internet with "100 mountains", "famous 100 mountains" something like that.

I hope many people visit Japan and hike some of mountains and hot spring.   That may be different from mountains in your country.  




No comments:

Post a Comment