4/03/2013

Mt. Whiteny Lottery 2013

Trail Camp  on Mt. Whitney Trail (October 2012)
Mt. Whitney (14,564ft / 4439m)
   Mt. Whitney is the highest mountain in California.   In the United States, Mt. Whitney is 12th highest mountain.  All mountains higher than Mt. Whitney are in Alaska.  To climb Mt. Whitney, a permission is required.  This is one of most popular mountains in the United States.  To protect the nature in the area, people get into the area is limited.

Mt. Whitney Lottery
   People who want to climb Mt. Whitney from May 1st through October 31st can file an application in February  every year.  Then, the lottery result will be notified in March.  Starting last year, the application can be filed through on-line instead of a regular mail.
    Please refer the following link to get more detail information.

Lottery in 2013
   I went there last two years.  I was so lucky to get the permission the last three years.  The first year, I could not make it due to a conflict of the day.  But the last two years, I climbed to the top of the mountain.  I expected to get the permission this year as well.  Unfortunately my application for this year was failed.  I guess that the application is easy to file on-line and more people tried to go there.
  Once the lottery has done, the rest of the available space can be booked through on-line first come - first serve basis.  I checked the available overnight space on-line on April 3rd, but almost all spaces had been booked except very early / very late season.  For a day trip, there are a little more, but not in a good season.
    In early season, the trail may be covered with snow and the late season the trail would start covering with snow.  So that, probably a good season for easy hike would be late June through early October.
    I gave up to climb Mt. Whitney this year.

To be continue ......
   Since I have been there twice, I plan to post / share my experience in Mt. Whitney trail in this blog in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment