6/11/2019

Good training after age 40! ~ Don't do training too much!



Good Training after age 40!

I usually run a few times a week last a few years and it might be a good for me.

I resumed running when I was 40 years old.
Originally, my goal was sub-3, which is less than 3 hours for full marathon.
I run about 200 miles a month to achieve the goal.
Unfortunately, I have not achieved the goal after 40 years old due to injuries.

I guess it was probably all right the first a few years.

However, I was getting old and my body cannot recover well in a short time.
That was the primary reason I kept injured.

The problem was once I got injured, I had to stop running for a while.
After resume the training, it took longer time to recover the original fitness level for a long time.

Key is to avoid injury 

Especially after 50 years old, it is very difficult to recover the fitness level before the injury.
Therefore, to keep a similar fitness level, I need to continuously train regular basis.
That is really the key.

Probably, it might be too much to run long distance every day for most of people who is over 50!
There might be some exceptions, but it might be true in general.

Tip for training after age 50!

Here is some tip based on my experience!
  • Follow a training plan - There are many free training plans in the internet!
  • Using some measurable index for training
  • Having one or two resting days
Training Plan 
I am using a training plan in "Garmin Connect".  You need to register the web site, but there are many training plans and they are good to avoid over training.

Measurable index
Some model of Garmin Running device, such as Forerunners / Fenix, has a feature to show a recovery time based on the strength of training.  I guess it might be a conservative side, but it is probably good indication to have the next training for people who is over 50!

Based on the data, the typical frequency of training for me is somewhere around every 2 days or 3 days.

Resting days

Other than recovery time, I set at least one resting days once a week.

Good to have monitor your activities!

It is always good to have a way to monitor your activities!

I am using a Garmin Running device to monitor my activities.




A bit expensive, but there are many nice features!


It is a reasonable price.
This device is one generation older, but it is good enough and the price is very good deal!

No comments:

Post a Comment