3/24/2017

Mt. Whitney Hiking 2017 (3) ~ Won the lottery!

From the visitor center in Lone Pine
The lottery result is now available!

   I got a notice about the result of Mt. Whitney lottery today.   I won an overnight permit in a weekend in the end of September.   Based on the progress report, it was not very popular date in the end of September.   As I mentioned in the previous post, it is a better probability to avoid the popular season even if the selection is not the first choice.

Action plan

    First of all, people who won the lottery, they need to complete the reservation process on the reservation site by the end of April (April 30th).  If you missed this date, then the right to make a reservation will be lost.  All dates which is not reserved by April 30, will be available for everybody after May 1.   To reserve the date, the reservation fee USD $15 per person and a transaction fee USD $6 will be required.

   Then, people who lost the lottery, they can check the reservation site after April 1 to see if there is any dates not assigned by the lottery.  Also, after May 1, all non reserved dates will be back to the site for everybody.   It is better to check often to get a date and make a reservation as the next step.


   Although I won a date, I will also check a better date after April 1 / May 1.   If I do not find any goo date by April 30, then I will proceed the reservation with the given date and keep looking for another date after May 1.

    I did not win the lottery last two years and I got a date after April 1 / May 1 to get an available date to hike Mt. Whitney.   So there is still some chance and do not give up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment