3/14/2017

Mt. Whitney Hiking 2017 (1) ~ Filed the lottery application!

Trail Camp
Mt. Whitney Lottery

   It is already mid March and the daylight saving time just started last weekend.  It has been cold this winter, but it is getting warm and it was hot last weekend.   As I posted before, Mt. Whitney lottery is in progress now.   The application will be accepted till midnight on March 15th (Eastern Time).  It's about 2 days from now.   I have just filed my application.

My plan this year

   I am planning to hike Mt. Whitney this year again.   This year, I will post the process to be there.  I am not sure if I can get the permit or not.  However, I will post my process in this blog.

Filed my application

   First of all, as the first step, Mt. Whitney lottery is opened in February to mid March every year and it is the first step to file an application.  There are two types of permit for Mt. Whitney.  One is day use and the other is overnight.  They have different allocation for each day and more allocation for the day permit.  Although it might be easier to get a day use permit, I prefer to spend more time to take photos and spending more time on the trail.   Therefore, I will try to get an overnight permit this year as well.

   I prefer to minimize to take days off and try to get a permit in a weekend.  So that I picked almost all weekends from late June to early October.   In an application, we can pick up to 15 different days.  Late June to July, there might be some snow on the trail, we might need some special equipment.  Because of snow on the trail, not many people pick those dates.  Also after late September, there might be a chance to be snowing, people might not pick them as well.  I think the most popular time is probably July to early September.  Depending on skill and experience with snow, it might be a good idea to pick early / late season to increase the chance.  However, it might be hard to get a weekend permit after the lottery, therefore, I will prefer to try weekends with the lottery first.

   I have just filed my application and it will be closed by Wednesday.  The result will be available after 24th of March.   I just need to wait for the result before the next action.  I will post my progress to this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment