2/07/2014

Be careful to proceed repair SONY product in the US!!

   In the end of last year, one of my camera lens was not functional.  After more than 1 months, the repair had been completed and sent it back.  Now I can shoot daily photos like before.

   However, I had a problem with SONY for this repair and I would like to share my experience.


Flat Rate Repair






   Whenever people make a repair request, they do care how much cost they need to spend.  A good thing for the process this time is "flat rate repair" when I placed the request on SONY USA web site.  The price was reasonable and I thought it was a great idea.

   There are seven exceptions not to apply the flat rate repair.  I do not believe anything can apply my case.  But actual cost is not the one showed when I place the order.

    Here is the exceptions:
  • Replacement of display parts such as LCD
  • Internal corrosion or moisture damage
  • Cosmetic parts
  • Any condition resulting from physical abuse, misuse or excessive wear
  • Business and professional product or any product used commercially, or in a manner other than originally designed or intended.
  • Devices older than seven years from last market date
  • Damage resulting from any prior repairs
In my case, the problem was just stuck focus ling and I do not think anything above could be applied.

I am in a trouble!!




The initial process was very smooth.  The initiation was very easy on SONY USA web site.  SONY also called me when they receive the lens.

The operator for the first confirmation call told me they would evaluate the lens before proceeding the repair.  He also told me it might take a several days.  However, a status was changed suddenly, the process was pending and waiting for my approval to pay higher cost than the initial "flat rate price".  There was no phone call to explain this at all.  It was just web status.


What!  It was not flat rate!?

Once I saw that message on the web, I went SONY USA site to make sure the conditions again.  Yes, it clearly says, the device to qualify "the flat rate repair".  I also confirmed all exception cases.
I called SONY customer service to complain this.  The operator kept saying that the initial price was generated by the system and it was just a place holder.  I tried to explain about the flat rate I saw on the web.  But they did not listen to me at all.

My option could be dispose it or sending it back with my cost if I did not agree the new higher price.

After long time conversation with the operator, finally I agreed to pay the amount.  I did not have much choice and I like the lens and the price range was still below the maximum price I set.  After that, everything was smooth and the repair had been completed within 1 week and sent it back to me.

Overall, this thing was really bad.  What SONY did to me was really bad!!!!!!

SONY sent a survey today and I gave all my complaints to them, but nothing was happened.  I guess people need to be careful to buy SONY product or ask a repair to SONY.

I am not sure if people had a similar experience like this.  I am considering to post this experience somewhere on the internet.  If you have any suggestions / advice, please let me know.


No comments:

Post a Comment