8/14/2018

Mt Whitney Hiking ~ Plant to be there this weekend!

From the main ridge of Mt. Whitney

I have not updated this blog for a while, I could not spend a lot of time for outdoor activities this summer due to many thing I need to do.  However, I find some time to hike Mt.Whitney this summer.  As I originally planed, this weekend would be the time!
Now I am preparing the hiking!!

Confirmed the reservation

First of all, I have just confirmed the reservation on the reservation site.  People need to confirm the reservation 2 to 14 days before the reservation, otherwise the reservation will be canceled.  It is very important to keep the reservation.   It was last minutes this year, but I have done!

まずは、予約サイトで予約の確認を行いました。予約の日の2日から14日前の期間に確認をしないと予約がキャンセルされてしまいますので、重要です。今回はギリギリになってしまいましたが、予約を確認しました。

Stuff to carry

This time, it is mid August and I do not have to worry about snow.  I do not need anything special this time.  Therefore, the plan is to minimize what I carry and do easy hiking!  I plan to wear hiking shoes instead of heavy boots this time.  I do not have to buy anything new except a gas canister and foods.   Only thing I need to do is to check all equipment.

  • Tent / Pads
  • Sleeping bag
  • Water treatment
  • Water bottle
  • Jackets
  • Cooking ware
  • Stove
  • Bear canister (*) must be required!!
  • Cap
  • Sun screen
  • Trekking poles
  • lighter
  • foods
Other than that, I will also ware the running watch with GPS / Pulse oximeter to monitor my heart rate and SPO2 during the hiking.   Also, I will carry amateur radio to check APRS coverage in the area.


I will report more detail after I coming back!

(*) FYI:  I also have another overnight reservation on August 31, 2018.  I do not need this any more and plan to cancel some time this week.   I am not sure when it comes back to the reservation site.  However it might be worth to watch the site if people are interested in to get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment