1/30/2017

Lassen Volcanic National Park ~ Ridge Lake back country skii

Back country skiing  ~ Round trip to Ridge Lake

   It has been constantly snowing this winter in California.  It was dry winter last a couple years and there was not much snow.   This year, there was a lot of snow in Lassen Volcanic National park as well.   I went back country skiing last weekend.

    For back country skiing, Lake Tahoe area is also a good area.  However, it usually very busy area due to many ski resorts.  There are so many cars on the major roads and I prefer Lassen Volcanic NP area.  It is quiet area and there is no traffic jam even in weekends.   The last a couple weeks, it was snowing over there and it was not a good time for back country skiing.  Finally, the weather forecast would be good last weekend and decided to be there on Saturday, January 28th.

   The original plan was climbing up to Mt. Diller.  However, it was really warm day and it is good just T-shirt during ascending.   The snow is really wet and sticky.   Thus, there was a lot of snow on the climbing skin and I took more time than I originally thought.   I decided to turn back at Ridge Lake instead.

   The snow was wet, however I enjoyed ski down from there.   Even without climbing skin, a lot of snow still stick to the skies when I stopped and I had to take it off before next move.

   There were many families to play with snow near the parking lots at the south entrance.  However once people away from the area, it was really quiet and nice.

    I will probably be there for skiing a few times this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment