5/29/2013

GPS Watch ~ Garmin 910XT~



A watch with GPS
Garmin 910XT


Garmin 910XT

GPS watch!
   Today, I am writing about a watch with GPS function, GPS watch!  I have been running as a part of my daily life and joined a few race last a few years.   When I run, I usually ware a watch with a GPS watch that was bought three years ago.  I have been using Garmin GPS watch (405CX) as my partner during my training.  With this watch, distance, pace, heart rate during the training can be recorded and logged to the internet.  This is a good motivation to continue the training as a part of life.  I had some health problem such as overweight and etc.  After I started running regular basis, those problems had been going away and I am healthy nowadays.
   Talking about the watch, due to GPS function, it cannot use a typical small button battery like a regular watch.  The GPS watch is using a rechargeable buttery embedded in the watch.  Because of so many re-charge cycles, the discharge time is getting shorter nowadays.  I think it is a time to buy another one.  Some internet articles say it is possible to replace the battery, but I decided to buy another one.    The last weekend was Memorial Day weekend and many shops did a special sale.  One of outdoor shop has a GPS watch on sale.  I thought it  was a good deal and I bought a new one.
 
Longer battery discharge time!
 
   Since I also interested in “ultra marathon” that is a race longer than full marathon (26.2 miles).  I am getting old and cannot run very fast, therefore I may take longer time to finish such race.  So the previous model is not good enough to log an entire race.  That is one of reason I pick this Garmin 910XT.  The previous one can be operated up to 8 hours based on its specification.  This new one can be operated up to 20 hours that is usually long enough time to finish except some very long “crazy race” like 100 mile trail race.  That is one of big reasons I picked this model.

Large display
   Since I am getting older and need reading glasses to see small fonts.  The previous one has very small display and fonts.  It is sometimes hard to read the information on the display.  However, this new model has a large display and it is much easier to read all information without reading glasses.   That is a big plus for me!!
No sensibility problem !!
    One of a big problem on the previous one that is so sensitive for the bezel operation.  The previous one needs to use bezel to change / set the device.   It is somehow a nice feature and design.  But a problem is it is so sensitive.  Some time sweat or rain is a cause to activate an operation during running, such as switching display unexpectedly.  This new one does not have such problem since all operation is based on buttons, no bezel operation or touch panel and all minimum operation during running can be done with buttons very easy.
What is getting worse?
   There are some minor problems, but they are not really big problems at all.
First thing is a problem to use it as a watch in a daily life.  Since this model is not designed to use it as a regular watch without GPS function.  It is still possible to show a time on the display with customizing the data field on the display.  For longer operation time, users may want to disable GPS function every time to use it as a watch.  There is no stand-by mode like the previous model.  This model is really focusing on training / logging the training long.
   The supported training modes are also less than the previous model.  The previous model has three training menu, “simple”, “heart rate” and “interval’.  This new one has only two, “interval” and “custom”.   Basically all previous function can be covered by “custom”.  But the setup is a little tricky.  Since just set a custom workout as distance 10km, then it works.  But lap time cannot be captured with this simple setup.  We need to set 1km x 10 with repeating to trace each lap time.  As long as users understand the structure of the custom workout, it should not be a problem and it can be done on a PC as well.

I think there won’t be a perfect one.  So that this new one has cover most of function I need.  I will use this “partner” for my training to improve my performance.


(End)








No comments:

Post a Comment